Ineligible Items for Removal
To avoid disappointment on your moving day, it is important to know what items can and can’t be moved by the removalist. Some items that can be moved may have to be properly prepared before they are loaded onto a vehicle. And in some instances, you may have to have a qualified tradesman attend to your property.
Items Requiring Special Attention
- Gas BBQ’s
- Pool Chemicals
- Lawnmowers or other gardening equipment containing flammable liquids
- Fire Extinguishers
However, there are steps you can take to make it possible to have the removal company move them for you.
- BBQ gas cylinder will not be carried by a removalist unless you can provide a certificate from a Gas Cylinder Test Station certified by Standards Australia, stating the cylinder has been purged. You should never burn off the gas nor simply release the gas into the atmosphere. Gas is heavy and will not dissipate making an explosion a distinct possibility.
- Lawnmowers and other gardening equipment should have the petrol drained from the tanks. If you are sending these items interstate or into store, they will also need to be steam cleaned.
Items Ineligible For Removal
- Prohibited dangerous goods
- Plants (Certificate may be required)
- Collections and special interest items (depending on company policy)
- Items in unclean condition.
Prohibited Dangerous Goods
Some commodities cannot be accepted for transport by air, sea or road under general conditions. There is a full statement of Items Ineligible for Removal in the AFRA Moving Guide Kit.
Note: If you need further information about the dangerous goods code legislation, this can be obtained from relevant State Government or Technical Bookshops.